The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) conducts a wide variety of environmental studies to identify potential environmental impacts associated with proposed development projects. These studies are done in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, the regulations of the President's Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) for NEPA compliance, and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Orders 1050.1F and 5050.4B.
NEPA requires federal agencies to consider a wide array of potential environmental effects when proposing actions including: noise; compatible land use; social and socioeconomic characteristics; air quality; water quality; geology and soils; historic, architectural, archeological, and cultural resources; biotic communities; endangered and threatened species; wetlands; floodplains; coastal zone management; coastal barriers; wild and scenic rivers; prime and unique farmland; energy; light emissions; visual aesthetics; solid waste, hazardous waste, and pollution prevention; and design, art, and architecture. These studies are decision-making tools that analyze the potential environmental effects of a proposed action and its alternatives and provide a forum to address both regulatory and public concerns.
Because NEPA is a federal law, compliance with NEPA is ultimately the responsibility of the FAA. However, as the project sponsor, MWAA is responsible for identifying the need for the proposed action, developing alternatives, and preparing the environmental documentation for FAA approval.
For additional information regarding the NEPA process, contact the Airports Authority Office of Engineering, Planning Department, at 703-417-8140.
Current Public Notices:
- Notice of Availability - Washington Dulles International Airport, Sky Chefs Building Demolition, Memorandum of Agreement
- Notice of Availability - Washington Dulles International Airport, New Concourse Development, Draft Short Form Environmental Assessment
NEPA Environmental Assessment (EA) Archive:
- Notice of Floodplain Encroachment - North Airfield LOI Project, Airfield Improvements Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Notice of Public Scoping Workshop - Environmental Assessment for Western Solar Development Washington Dulles International Airport
- Notice of Availability - Final Supplemental Environmental Assessment and Finding of No Significant Impact for the Terminal B/C Redevelopment, Secure National Hall, and Related Improvements to Include Relocatable Employee Parking, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Notice of Public Scoping Workshop - Environmental Assessment for Roadway Network Improvements, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Terminal B/C Redevelopment, Secure National Hall, and Related Improvements Draft Supplemental Environmental Assessment
- IAD Western Lands Area Final Programmatic Environmental Assessment and FONSI, March 2018
- Notice of Availability and Public Workshop - Draft Programmatic Environmental Assessment for IAD Western Lands
- Notice of Public Scoping Workshop - DCA Roadway Network Improvements Draft Environmental Assessment
- DCA Terminal B/C Redevelopment, Secure National Hall, and Related Improvements Final EA/FONSI November 2016
- Police Range and Training Facility Final EA and FONSI September 2015
- IAD Fuel and Convenience Concession Site Final EA and FONSI February 2016
NEPA Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Archive: