Facts About Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
AIRPORT NAME: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
OFFICIAL AIRPORT DESIGNATOR: DCA
LOCATION: Arlington County, Virginia
LAND: Situated on a total of 860 acres: 733 acres on land and 127 acres underwater
The site was selected by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1938. Much of the land was underwater at the time so almost 20 million cubic yards of sand and gravel were moved onto the site.
The Airport has a total of 44 gates: 9 in Terminal A and 35 in Terminal B/C
Historic Terminal A
When opened in 1941, the Airport facility was 115,000 square feet.
The first major expansion was completed in November 1950 when a 297-foot extension to the south end of the Main Terminal added 25,110 square feet of space.
Five years later, the 587 x 17 foot “south finger” was added, increasing the square footage by 9,979 square feet and also providing badly needed aircraft gates and loading positions.
More space for passengers and aircraft quickly became necessary as the annual number of passengers continued to grow. In October 1958, the North Terminal was opened, adding an additional 7,264 square feet of usable space. In 1961, the 772-foot long passageway between the Main and the North Terminals was enclosed. By the mid-1980’s, the facility was crowded again and in need of modernization.
A staffed information counter is located at the baggage claim area of Terminal A.
In the future, Historic Terminal A will undergo a renovation project to restore the Terminal to its 1941 design and architecture. The Historic Terminal will continue to serve passengers and provide airline gates, ticket counters, and concessions - all within the framework of what the Airport originally looked like.
Terminal B/C opened on July 27, 1997. The Terminal has 1 million square feet of floor space spread over three levels with direct connections to the Metrorail public transportation system and public parking garages via two enclosed pedestrian bridges. The Terminal's two-level roadway system improves traffic flow through the Airport by sorting arriving and departing traffic.
The Terminal provides 100 ticket counters, 12 baggage claims, 3 piers where airline gates are located, and a connector to Terminal A.
A staffed information counter is located at the south and north end of the concourse in Terminal B/C each directly across from the bridges which connect the garages and Metro to the Terminal.
The Airport was originally designed with four runways: the main north-south runway at 6,855 feet; a northwest-southeast runway at 5,210 feet; a northeast-southwest runway at 4,892 feet; and an east-west runway at 4,100 feet.
Over the years, the runways have changed only slightly in length with one exception. The east-west runway was closed in 1956 to be used as a taxiway and for aircraft parking.
Today, the airfield contains three runways. Runway 1/19, the main north-south runway, is 6,869 feet. In the 1980's, overruns were added to each end of this runway. In 2012, the runway was resurfaced and extended to increase the runway safety area. The other two runways are Runway 15/33 at 5,204 feet, and Runway 4/22 at 4,911 feet.
Public parking is available for nearly 9,000 vehicles providing hourly, daily and economy options. Terminal A is served by an hourly lot and daily parking garage. Terminal B/C is served by hourly and daily parking garages. Courtesy shuttle buses are provided to and from all Terminals to the Economy Lot.
Taxicabs serving the Airport queue in a two-level 118,000 square foot structure designed to accommodate 500 vehicles. About 5,000 taxicabs are dispatched at the Airport every day. SuperShuttle, a shared-ride van service picks up passengers at their homes, businesses or hotels within the metro area and transports them to the airport. The Airport is also served by five car rental companies located on site.
Fixed Base Operators
Signature Flight Support serves as the Fixed Base Operator for the general aviation community with 31,000 square feet for terminal, administrative and office space located in Hangar 7 at the south end of the Airport. In October 2005, the federal government allowed General Aviation to return to Reagan National for the first time since September 11, 2001 with many new restrictions in place.
There are nearly 100 shops and restaurants in the Airport Terminals with a mix of national, local and regional retail and food concessions. Click here for more information about shopping and dining.
OPERATIONS and STATISTICS
National Airport served 344,257 passengers the year it opened in 1941, and reached the 1 million annual passenger mark in 1946. Click here for the latest passenger and flight operation statistics.
Aircraft noise regulations were instituted prior to commercial jet operations at the Airport. Aircraft flight patterns follow the Potomac or Anacostia Rivers, and pilots practice power thrust reduction on takeoff to reduce noise impacts. There are also nighttime aircraft noise requirements in effect from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Click here for more information about our Noise Abatement Program.
Slot and Perimeter Rules
Primarily serving as a "short-haul" airport, Reagan National offers nonstop service to destinations no further than a 1,250 mile perimeter from Washington, D.C. as part of the federally-instituted “Perimeter Rule.” Over the years, the federal government has granted exceptions to this rule, allowing daily flights to several cities beyond the perimeter: Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Ore., San Diego and Austin.
The “slot rule” was created by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 1969 at five high-density airports to reduce congestion and spur growth at other nearby airports. Reagan National’s slot rule limits the number of landings and takeoffs to 62 per hour. Federal legislation in 2000, 2003 and 2012 added 24, 22 and 8 new slots, respectively.
For a history of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport click here.