|Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority|
|1 Aviation Circle - Washington, DC 20001-6000 - (703) 417-8370 - Fax: (703) 417-8371|
Saturday, May 30, 1998
DULLES DAY Features Aviation and Plane PullAlexandria, VA—The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority hosted "Dulles Day" on Saturday, May 30, featuring the biggest "tug of war" in northern Virginia -- the annual PLANE PULL at Washington Dulles International Airport.
The Plane Pull, sponsored by the Airports Authority Police Department, raises money for the Virginia Special Olympics as teams of twenty people display "Olympian strength" by pulling a 727 jet aircraft donated by Federal Express. The teams, which each donate $1,000 to the Special Olympics, are challenged to pull the plane 12 feet by rope. Over the last five years, the Airports Authority estimates that over $200,000 has been raised for the Virginia Special Olympics. This year's event raised approximately $50,000.
"This is a great opportunity for Dulles Airport to support an important program like the Virginia Special Olympics and to open the airport to the community with displays and information about the world of aviation," said Keith Meurlin, Dulles Airport Manager.
In addition to the Plane Pull, the ramp area at the Cargo 5 Building was transformed into an exhibit area which featured numerous aircraft on display for inspection, including: two versions of the C-130 Hercules transport, one of which is equipped to land on the snowpack of Antarctica; an F-16; a MIG 17; Venom Jet Fighter; German C 160 Transall; a WWII propeller-driven trainer, the T-6 Texan; and private and public safety aircraft.
A special new feature for Dulles Day this year offered model aircraft flight demonstrations by the Virginia Airshow Squadron team. Model aircraft, of various scales, were flown throughout the day and featured: The Voyager, which flew around the world without refueling; Starship Enterprise, from the tv show "Star Trek--Next Generation"; and formation flight aircraft similar to the Air Force Flight Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds.
There were also informational exhibits about Dulles International Airport and the future site of the Dulles Center Air and Space Museum as well as a police badge and patch collectors show; fire and police equipment display; airport snow removal and large equipment display; and a Kids Korner with special activities for children.
The official radio station for the Plane Pull, WBIG Oldies 100 FM, provided music and "color commentary" during the competition.
1998 Plane Pull Winners
Fastest Pull with times
- Prince William County Police Department/Outback Steakhouse --6.42 seconds
- Loudoun County Sheriffs Association/H&K/World Gym/All Star Cafe, Sterling, VA -- 6.55 seconds
- Argenbright Security, Inc./FBI -- 6.57 seconds
Team with lowest combined weight to pull the 140,000 lb 727.
- Datatel, Inc./ Booz Allen and Hamilton, Inc. -- team weight: 1,950 lbs.
- Fairfax County Sheriffs Association -- team weight: 1,980 lbs.
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police/IDS -- team weight: 2,050 lbs.
1998 Plane Pull Teams
- MTAA Builder/Developer, Inc.
- Fairfax Sheriffs Association
- Aerolink/FBI National Academy
- Quantico Military Police
- United Airlines Ground Power Unit
- Washington Flyer Taxi
- Washington Air Cargo Association
- Ft. Myer Military Police Company Keep Our Community Drug Free
- Airbus Industrie of North America, Inc.
- First Virginia Bank/Virginia State Police
- British Aerospace
- Argenbright Security, Inc./FBI
- Fairfax County Police/First Virginia Bank/The Pruitt Corp./John D. Stokely, Jr.
- JET BLAST
- NTSB/Hoppmann Corp.
- Booz-Allen & Hamilton
- Washington National Airport Airline Management Council
- Military Police Henderson Hall
- CASA U.S. Secret Service/DEA
- Fed Ex
- Boeing Information Services
- Signature Flight Support
- World Airways
- Falls Church Police/Don Beyer Volvo/Range Rover Falls Church/Alexandria/Koons Ford/Dodge Falls Church
- Chesapeake Sheriff's Office FOP9/ J.D. Murphy Eastern Oxygen & Medical Equipment, Inc.
- United Express/Atlantic Coast Airlines
- Dulles Airport Airline Management Council
- U.S. Customs/UTOP
- Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center, Leesburg, VA
- Prince William County Police Department/Outback Steakhouse
- IDS/Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department
- Air France Cargo/Air Cargo Inc.
- WBIG 100.3
- Loudoun County Sheriffs Association/H&K/World Gym/All Star Cafe, Sterling, VA.
- Labat-Anderson, Inc./Arlington County Police Department
- Richard L. Spees, Inc.